Some photoshop layering tips from Dec 2012's issue.
P88. Workshop feature by Annie Stegg.
- Group layers together, and apply Mask (mentions Alpha Mask; restricts painting to the area).
- For lighting, suggests creating two layers: one set to Multiply and the other to Colour Dodge. Work between these layers to get definition and depth.
- Once basic lighting is done, add texture. Create a new layer; "setting a basic Speckled Brush to Screen"; put the layer on Soft Light.
- Use Emboss and Bevel effects (try setting the directions to Up/ Down) to create inset looks on plate armour.
- Shortcut: Use [F] to cycle through different screen modes in Photoshop.
- Use the Smudge tool to "pull" hair strands when painting hair.